In 2021 I am focussing on six areas – equity, diversity and inclusion; indigenous engagement and reconciliation; climate change; UBC’s COVID-19 response; operational efficiency and academic excellence.
For progress on these priorities, click here.
Equity Diversity and Inclusion
- Work with the UBC community to complete the Taskforce Report of Anti-Racism and Inclusive Excellence
- Identify priorities for implementation from the Taskforce Report
- Support the implementation of top annual priorities from the Inclusion Action Plan
- Release the Report from the National Dialogues on Anti-Asian Racism
- Ensure that the “Beyond Tomorrow Scholars Program” is successfully launched
- Work with the Vice President Students and Recreation to launch new programs to enhance the wellness of UBC students.
Indigenous Engagement and Reconciliation
- Work with the entire UBC community and indigenous partners to implement the Indigenous Strategic Plan
- Continue to foster strong relationships with Musqueam
- Work with Executive, Provosts, Deans and ISP Coordinating Committee to plan Indigenous Faculty, Staff and Student Recruitment
- Work with Professor Sheryl Lightfoot and Deans to develop a synergistic partnership between the Faculties of Applied Science and Science with 3 First Nations
- Continue to lead climate action in my second year as the President of the University Climate Change Coalition (UC3)
- Represent UBC and Canada at the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow
- Continue to lead as Chair of Committee of Presidents of the U7+ Alliance of 45 universities to address pressing global challenges such as climate change
- Prepare to host global Climate Change Summit at UBC in Summer 2022
- Continue to lead UBC’s strategy to support a healthy and safe community during this year of Return to Campus; working with provincial leaders and health authorities
- Support the implementation of a remote work program that fosters employee engagement, attraction and retention, and considerations around environmental impacts.
- Work with the Executive and others to enhance programming for students as their return to campus after 18 months away
- Evaluate and apply lessons learned from the pandemic into future planning to mitigate risk and leverage opportunities
- Work with Executive and experts in institutional finance to establish a UBCV/O operating model that optimizes the distribution of resources across UBCV and UBCO.
- Begin an analysis of the tuition allocation model with the assistance of an external consultant.
- Focus on UBCV and UBCO budgets with a clear delineation of administrative structures and an alignment of budget frameworks between both campuses.
- Support the implementation of a Thrive-based platform for monitoring testing of unvaccinated individuals at UBC
- Provide clear and visible leadership in the refinement of Workday HR and Finance and the implementation of Student within the Integrated Renewal Program (IRP).
President’s Academic Excellence Initiative
- Oversee the accelerate phase of PAEI and support the development of the campaign-phase for both campuses
- Engage with the Provosts and Deans to leverage PAEI to support the EDI priorities of the university
- Work with the Provosts, VP Research and Deans to support infrastructure investments to support new faculty members recruited by PAEI